1. What’s your name, and where are you from?
My name is Elving (Big El), My IG is dominican_coqui. I was born in Wash. DC but grew up in DC & Dominican Republic.
2. How long have you been collecting?
I started collecting officially in Nov. 2017. I collect mostly Jordans but also have a few Nike Foamposite & Nike Air Max, don’t tell anyone but I have 1 pair of Adidas but I’m checks over stripes.
3. What inspired you to start collecting?
I’ve been a sneakerhead for as long as I can remember but I didn’t start collecting until I hit on the SNKRS App for the Off-White X Jordan 1 Chicago. I’ve been into Jordans since 1992 with my first pair being the OG Jordan 5 White Grape. I’ve had many pairs from then until now, but when I hit for those Off-White, It just made something inside me want to start collecting.
4. What’s your favorite pair of sneakers that you own, and why?
My favorite pair I own are the Jordan 4 Bred Cement. I remember growing up and my older cousin had the OG pair. Everytime I would go over to his house, he would make me cover my eyes then he would go into his closet like he had a door to a secret room & he would come out holding this Jordan box. He would carefully open the box and pull the shoes out and just sit there & stare at them. He would never let me touch them. I don’t think he ever wore the shoes. But I hated those shoes so much that I promised myself that I would have a pair one day.
5. What grail pair don’t you have and would love to add to your collection?
I have 2 grail pairs 1) Jordan 4 Kaws Grey (2) Nike Yeezy 2 NRG Black
6. What are your likes and/or dislikes about sneakerhead culture?
My likes are that I have been able to connect with people that if it were not for the common love of shoes, I might not have had the chance to connect or become friends with. I have been blessed to be in a small circle where we help each other out when new sneakers drop or helping locate other kicks that one of us is looking for.
– top dislike – scammers & those that feel they have the power to decide if someone is a sneakerhead or not.
7. Is there anything you’d like to see more of in the sneakerhead community?
I would love to see the young collectors (not hypebeast) get more love and get featured more.
8. All “kicks” aside, what are your interests/passions/hobbies outside of sneakers?
-Spending time with my family
-African/South American Cichlid Fish
-UNC Tar Heels basketball
-Washington Redskins football
-The Walking Dea